Sunday, 28 July 2013

Review: Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation

With sensitive, acne prone, and oily skin (great combo huh?!), it's not often that I purchase a new foundation. It's so hard to actually find brands that don't cause me to break out, and that are free from skin irritants such as fragrance and mineral oil. For the last six months or so I've been sticking to my Cover FX products which I really love, and would highly recommend to those of you with sensitive skin but I was getting an itch to try something new. When I heard that Hourglass's latest foundation claimed to be a 'miracle' for oily skin, I knew that I wanted to try it! Whilst in London for my birthday recently, I took advantage of being near an Hourglass counter and decided to pick it up.



I was immediately attracted to the claims of a long-lasting, matte finish (a must for my oily skin), and the fact that it was free from oil, parabens, fragrance, gluten, synthetic dyes etc..... the list goes on!! It just sounded perfect for my oily, yet sensitive skin. Here's an overview on my thoughts:

Pro's:
  • It definitely lives up to its claim of being a great foundation for oily skin. The staying power really is excellent- even without a primer or setting powder, it still lasts all day with very little shine. I've been loving it as both a daytime foundation (especially with the current summer weather!), and for nights out- it doesn't budge! It's definitely the most long-wearing foundation I've ever found for my oily skin.
  • It provides medium to full coverage, with a matte finish- perfect for my skin type. It doesn't look too thick or cakey however.
  • The colour matches me pretty well and there are quite a few to choose from. I went for shade 'Golden', which in the summer, matches me perfectly. I can see it being a little too dark for the winter months, but right now, it's a great match. 



Con's:
  • It is very expensive for a foundation...£50! However, I do think that it's worth it. Firstly, the ingredients are high quality and free from so many irritants. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a foundation if it's unlikely to break me out (so far, no irritation since using this). Plus, the staying power is excellent, and it's definitely the best I've tried for a super long lasting finish. 
  • It can be a bit tricky to apply but after trialling a few different methods, I've managed to find a good technique. As the liquid-to-powder formula dries and sets so quickly, you really need to work fast when applying this. I've found that it's best to work on one area at a time- dot the foundation over one area and stipple it into the skin (I like to use my Sigma F80 brush for this). 

So, the bottom line: Although it is expensive, I think it's an amazing foundation for both oily and sensitive skin. The staying power is very impressive, and the ingredients have not irritated my skin so far. Whilst it's definitely not the best option for dry skin, for oily, blemish prone skin, it's perfect, and well worth a try if you've yet to discover a 'miracle' foundation for oily skin. 

Have you found you 'miracle foundation' for oily skin?
Love, Claudia x

2 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting, I think I'll need to pop into Liberty to try it - with that being said it's going to be very hard to convince me it's worth £50! x

    ReplyDelete